
Myanmar Earthquake Death Toll Surpasses 2,000
The official death toll from last week’s powerful earthquake in Myanmar has climbed to 2,056, up from 1,700 reported just a day earlier, according to state media controlled by the country’s military government. Nearly 3,900 people have been reported injured, while around 270 remain missing.
The 7.7-magnitude quake struck central Myanmar on March 28, followed minutes later by a strong 6.7-magnitude aftershock. The tremors destroyed buildings, collapsed bridges, and severely damaged roads across the country.
The disaster has struck a nation already grappling with a deep political and humanitarian crisis. Since the 2021 military coup, Myanmar has been plagued by civil conflict, economic turmoil, and a fragile healthcare system suffering from chronic underinvestment.
The ruling military junta has declared a national mourning period through April 6, ordering flags to be flown at half-staff “to honor the lives lost and the destruction caused.”
Meanwhile, the opposition National Unity Government (NUG) announced a two-week suspension of military operations in quake-affected areas beginning March 30 to allow relief efforts to proceed.
The World Health Organization has declared the earthquake a top-level emergency and is calling for an immediate $8 million in aid to support medical care and prevent disease outbreaks over the next 30 days.
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) has launched a fundraising appeal for more than $100 million to help the people of Myanmar.
“This is among the most devastating disasters Asia has seen in over a century,” said Marie Manrique, acting IFRC regional director, speaking with CNN. “We won’t fully grasp the scale of this tragedy for days or even weeks.”
Critical infrastructure across Myanmar has suffered extensive damage. Airports in Mandalay and the capital Naypyidaw remain closed, hampering the delivery of humanitarian aid. Communication networks and transportation systems remain disrupted, making coordination of search and rescue operations difficult in remote areas.
“This is not just a disaster—it’s a complex humanitarian crisis layered atop existing challenges,” said Alexander Matheou, IFRC’s regional director for Asia Pacific.
“Displacement and food insecurity are growing concerns. The international community must step up with bold action and long-term support,” he added.
(Sources: AFP, ABC News)
Hello Shuttle will strive to bring the latest updates. At the end of the day.
Are you looking for reliable airport and cruise port transfer services in Los Angeles?
We offer professional, safe, and punctual transportation from
Los Angeles Airport - LAX
Long Beach Airport - LGB
John Wayne Airport - SNA
San Pedro cruise port
Long Beach cruise port
Disneyland
and other destinations.
Let us make your journey stress-free and comfortable with our dedicated drivers and high-quality vehicles. Book now for the perfect travel experience at www.helloshuttle.com or call 944-800-5678!