
U.S. National Security Advisor Takes Responsibility for Leaked Yemen Strike Group Chat
National Security Advisor Mike Waltz publicly accepted full responsibility for a recent security lapse involving a private group chat where top U.S. officials discussed military operations in Yemen, calling it “an embarrassing mistake.”
“I take full responsibility. I created the group. It’s embarrassing. We’re working to get to the bottom of it,” Waltz said on March 25.
His comments came a day after journalist Jeffrey Goldberg, editor-in-chief of The Atlantic, revealed he had been mistakenly added to a Signal group chat titled "Houthi PC small group" that included high-level officials such as Vice President JD Vance, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, and Waltz himself. The group had reportedly been used to coordinate upcoming U.S. airstrikes on Houthi targets in Yemen.
Waltz insisted no classified material had been shared in the chat and said he had no idea how Goldberg’s number ended up being added. “I didn’t even have his number saved,” he said.
Trump Defends Waltz Amid Backlash
President Donald Trump quickly came to Waltz’s defense, telling NBC in a phone interview that one of Waltz’s team members likely added Goldberg without authorization.
“Michael Waltz has learned from this. He’s a good guy,” Trump said. “This is the only real hiccup we’ve had in over two months—and it turned out to be no big deal.”
Trump emphasized that the mishap had no impact on the success of the military strikes in Yemen and said he had no plans to fire Waltz. “The messages on Signal weren’t critical,” Trump added. “It’s more of a tech glitch than anything else.”
At a later meeting with U.S. ambassadors, Trump reiterated his stance, saying Waltz had done “his best” and that “technology isn’t perfect.” He suggested the advisor might avoid using Signal going forward.
Trump also questioned Goldberg’s motives and the credibility of The Atlantic, while Waltz accused the journalist of “wanting people to talk about fake drama instead of the freedom we’re defending.”
Fallout and Scrutiny
Goldberg’s report has sparked significant criticism, particularly from congressional Democrats. Lawmakers sent letters demanding a full explanation from the White House. Members of the House Armed Services, Intelligence, Foreign Affairs, and Oversight Committees are now investigating whether senior officials are using unauthorized apps like Signal for sensitive national security discussions.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth denied that classified information had been exchanged, saying “no one discussed battle plans” in the chat. White House Press Secretary Karoline Leavitt also confirmed no classified documents had been shared and that Goldberg’s addition was purely accidental.
The National Security Council issued a statement saying the group chat actually demonstrated “tight coordination at the highest levels” and stressed that the Yemen strike was a success with no compromise to operational security or U.S. personnel.
Nonetheless, the incident has raised new questions about cybersecurity protocols in the Trump administration and the use of unsecured communication tools by top officials.
(Reported by Fox News, Reuters, NBC)
Hello Shuttle will strive to bring the latest updates. At the end of the day.
Are you looking for reliable airport and cruise port transfer services in Los Angeles?
We offer professional, safe, and punctual transportation from
Los Angeles Airport - LAX
Long Beach Airport - LGB
John Wayne Airport - SNA
San Pedro cruise port
Long Beach cruise port
Disneyland
and other destinations.
Let us make your journey stress-free and comfortable with our dedicated drivers and high-quality vehicles. Book now for the perfect travel experience at www.helloshuttle.com or call 944-800-5678!