White House Under Fire After Journalist Accidentally Added to Secret Military Chat Group

White House Under Fire After Journalist Accidentally Added to Secret Military Chat Group

The White House is facing sharp criticism and serious security questions after it was revealed that a top U.S. journalist was accidentally added to a group chat where senior officials were discussing plans for a military strike on Houthi forces in Yemen.

On March 24, the White House confirmed that Jeffrey Goldberg, editor-in-chief of The Atlantic, was mistakenly invited to a Signal chat group called “Houthi PC small group.” The chat included Vice President JD Vance, Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth, and National Security Advisor Mike Waltz, among others.

According to reports, Goldberg joined the group on March 13 and quickly realized it contained classified discussions about upcoming airstrikes, including specific military targets, weapons to be used, and the strike order. The messages also referenced the formation of a “tiger team” to coordinate the operation.

Two days later, Waltz and Hegseth publicly confirmed the U.S. had launched a coordinated air campaign against Houthi targets in Yemen—marking the first strike on the group under President Trump’s new term.

Security Nightmare Raises Alarms

It remains unclear how Goldberg was added to the group or why such sensitive information was being discussed on Signal, a civilian messaging app not authorized for handling classified material. The U.S. government has secure systems like SIPRNet and JWICS for classified communication, making the decision to use Signal all the more puzzling.

Security experts and former intelligence officials called the incident "unprecedented" and "reckless". Many within the administration reportedly reacted with shock and disbelief.

“This is the kind of lapse that endangers American lives,” said former Defense Secretary and CIA Director Leon Panetta in an interview with CNN. “If someone other than Goldberg had been added, they could have tipped off the Houthis before the strike happened.”

Pentagon officials also expressed dismay. “No, they cannot do that,” said one anonymous defense official. “It’s beyond comprehension.”

Legal and National Security Concerns

The use of an unsecured app like Signal for military planning may violate the Espionage Act, experts say. Ironically, the same law was previously used to indict Donald Trump over classified documents stored at Mar-a-Lago after his first term.

Under normal circumstances, this kind of breach would prompt an FBI investigation, but in this case, some of the individuals involved are also the ones who would normally authorize such probes—casting doubt on any meaningful accountability.

Former officials noted that lower-level government employees would almost certainly face suspension or loss of security clearance for a similar mistake.

Political Fallout

The incident has sparked bipartisan concern on Capitol Hill.

  • Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) called for a “full investigation.”

  • Rep. Jim Himes (D-CT), a senior member of the House Intelligence Committee, said he would raise the issue at a hearing this week.

  • Rep. Pat Ryan (D-NY), a member of the Armed Services Committee, called it “beyond repair.”

  • Even Republicans like Rep. Don Bacon expressed concern, calling it “deeply troubling” and unacceptable.

Despite the backlash, House Speaker Mike Johnson (R-LA) played down the event, saying the officials involved were “doing their job” and the issue would be addressed internally.

“A Disaster of Epic Proportions”

Former National Security Advisor Susan Rice slammed the mishap in a post on X, calling it “insane” and “a total breakdown of basic national security protocol.” Intelligence veterans echoed her sentiments, warning that chatting about covert military plans on unsecured apps is a dangerous precedent.

The Department of Defense has launched an internal investigation into the breach.

(Reporting from CNN, Politico, and Foreign Policy)

Hello Shuttle will strive to bring the latest updates. At the end of the day.

Are you looking for reliable airport and cruise port transfer services in Los Angeles?

We offer professional, safe, and punctual transportation from

Los Angeles Airport - LAX

Long Beach Airport - LGB

John Wayne Airport - SNA

San Pedro cruise port

Long Beach cruise port

Disneyland

and other destinations.

Let us make your journey stress-free and comfortable with our dedicated drivers and high-quality vehicles. Book now for the perfect travel experience at www.helloshuttle.com or call 944-800-5678!